I remember, during one of the many many many camping trips as a child hearing for the first time about the Northern Lights. The Aurora Borealis. Maybe it wasn't my first time, I'm not even sure how old I was at the time, but I remember looking up at the sky
longing to see them. I didn't even know what I was looking for. I think it all started with a story from my Dad about the first time he saw them, or his Dad saw them...that detail eludes me. But here I am some years later, in a corner of the Earth that sees them on a regular basis. I will say, the first day I "chased" them and found myself face to face with a large open sky 180 degrees from the East horizon to the West horizon, I was floored. I had no idea anything could look like that, so effortless, yet powerful, unpredictable, but you can still sense the anticipation as they grow in intensity across the sky. Very very early this morning, around 2am to be exact I caught the last tail end of a magnificent show. And I was tickled pink that I was able to see it all from my driveway :)
I had to go back and dig out my photos from that night over 2 years ago...I had no idea what settings to use, I didn't have a tripod, so these are shot from the hood of my car propped up by books :)
Just too cool :) Huh?
No comments:
Post a Comment