I don't expect all days to be smooth sailing. And I may have to take 100% of the fault for the rough evening we found ourselves in on Day 6.
I finally got "house productive". I didn't do much, but I have to start somewhere. I'm having a really hard time motivating myself because it doesn't feel like we're leaving. I was in PCS mode by this time when we left Louisiana. I think I've just settled here deeper than I did there. That may be because of the kids and my "old age". Either way, I started taking pictures of rooms and in looking at the pictures it drew my attention to fixes that I should make first, things I wasn't noticing by just standing in the doorway and scanning the room. So now I have things prioritized.
We got outside (probably the last day above 40 this year...) and started cleaning up the yard and garage. By we I mean the kids and I, but they didn't have the focus that I had. After a good brisk 45 minutes I realized I hadn't stopped long enough in the day to find my "picture to make me smile". On my way in to grab the camera a wood pecker flew into the yard. He hung out in the grass long enough for me to grab the camera, but as soon as I said something Mr took off after it and chased it up in to the tree. I tried to catch him, but his camouflage worked in his favor! He was cool, had a black mask over his face and he was big, he would have made a good meal!
Once he flew off I started pacing the yard looking for something beautiful. And yea, I may have a slight obsession with Birch trees...I became fascinated with the colors of the bark. You can't quite call them just white. There's so many other colors there!
The night got rough when I tried to rush through dinner in order to swing by the store to grab the snack for CWOC that I signed up for and forgot to buy when we were out earlier...That was my 1st mistake. I need to stop rushing the kids, they're kids. I tell them so much to slow down and think about what they are doing - I need to take my own advice. My 2nd mistake was staying for the full 2 hours. Mr was already tired from sleeping in too late in the morning and not getting a nap. By 8pm he was so tired he couldn't stop this laughing/crying sound that was like nails on a chalk board to me. But I'm so hooked on this time with these ladies and our discussions I just couldn't bear leaving. The 2 hours I get each week has been necessary to my sanity while Dad is here, how can I function without this when he's gone??? But I can't afford a sitter for 2.5 hours for 2 kids every week for 10 weeks...And I can't not go. I have a few ideas for next week to help them get through the 2 hours. I wasn't prepared enough for them. I wish they were older and could really understand what I mean when I say - "I just need 1 hour from you, 1 hour for Mom time, I need quiet. You can sit with me and listen, but please be quiet." It seems simple to me! Patience Mama...Patience. I'll learn. And by the time I do they'll probably be big enough to know what I'm talking about and I'll long for them to be silly little kids that love to stomp and roll and being chased around a corner is cool and not "too baby" for them...

No comments:
Post a Comment