Total Pageviews

29 September 2011

Day 343 Sept.25 2011

The history of coffee goes at least as far back as the thirteenth century. It has been believed that Ethiopian ancestors of today's Oromo people were the first to discover and recognize the energizing effect of the coffee bean plant.[1] The story of Kaldi, the 9th-century Ethiopian goatherd who discovered coffee, did not appear in writing until 1671 AD and is probably apocryphal.[2] From Ethiopia, coffee was said to have spread to Egypt and Yemen.[3] The earliest credible evidence of either coffee drinking or knowledge of the coffee tree appears in the middle of the fifteenth century, in the Sufi monasteries of Yemen.[1] By the 16th century, it had reached the rest of the Middle East, Persia, Turkey, and northern Africa. Coffee then spread to Italy, and to the rest of Europe, to Indonesia, and to the Americas. -Wikipedia


I've started to really enjoy the world of coffee.  I used to laugh at the people that got their panties in a bunch of "good coffee" and the lengths they would go to get it.  Since I went paleo and I now avoid adding many extra ingredients to my coffee as I used to, I kind of see what people were talking about.  Now I only add a touch of agave nectar, instead of loads of sugar and milk.  I've noticed that I can taste the difference in the "flavors" of coffee depending on the brand I buy.  This Kona 'Hawaiian Isles' brand has been my new favorite.  It's not crazy expensive, 4.99 on sale, 5.99 when it's not.  And it does have a yummy flavor to it.  Toasted Coconut is the flavor this week, I had to make a special run to the commissary today specifically for coffee and diapers.  Not sure how those two items missed out on the grocery list last week.


No comments:

Post a Comment