Total Pageviews

09 August 2011

Day 296 Aug.9 2011


I need to sometimes remind myself that I'm not an expert at the life I lead.  At times I may feel like I am-that I have everything under control and I know what's going to happen next.  It's usually at those times when something happens that rocks your stability to the very core.  Something that really makes you forget about the jewelry, or the stupid rules at the community pool, or the woman who was inappropriately dressed at the PX.  

This morning a soldier was invited to the VTC (video teleconference) that we FRG leaders and Rear-D staff have weekly with the down range  BN Commander.  This isn't uncommon for injured soldiers to drop in and say hello to their comrades, so seeing this man with two leg braces on and a cane wasn't anything new.  I realized when the entire Rear-D staff stepped out of the way to make room or moved forward to help him into a chair in front of the camera that he was severely injured.  The first words out of his mouth were "Sir...miss...back...go...hello."  He had a very difficult time forming sentences, it was obvious he knew what he wanted to say, but could only get the basic words out to express the idea.  It reminded me of a very small child.  He kept looking to his SGT for encouragement because he also seemed very nervous.  Everyone on the other end of the call greeted him with hellos and how are yous and cheers.  They flooded him with compliments on how he looked and how much they missed him.  The injured solider then expressed how much he wanted to return to them.  He wanted to help.  And he would repeat that, "help you.  I go, help you."  He insisted on apologizing for leaving them and for what happened in the accident.  At one point he said brothers and sisters in reference to those sitting across from him on the screen.  And then he told them about the motorcycle he had at home that he was going to teach them all how to ride when they returned home.  
I know situations like this happen all over the military in every unit.  I know the bonds you form with someone while fighting for your lives side by side are unimaginable.  But to witness it, first hand the way we did this morning.  It was humbling.  It was hard.  It was amazing.  I was honored to have been in the room.


Let me tell you, when that is how you set the mood for the day, nothing can go wrong!  


Two of my very good friends had their baby boys today, one in the morning, and one just moments ago.  Birth-days are great in general.  I really do remember the feeling of relief and excitement the moment I realized I wasn't pregnant anymore :)


It seems I've waited 10 months to play a role in this deployment as a FRG leader, but I finally feel like I'm there.  Things I'm saying are getting heard and appreciated, people are recognizing who I am, and I even had a new-to-post spouse call me and want to jump right in with being involved with the FRG.  


Everything today was simply great.  Uplifting, pleasant, satisfying.  Even when I made the most disgusting meal I've ever put in my mouth.  And even when this meal was made 40 min. later than usual, and I had zero time to make something else before Bug went into "over-tired meltdown" mode, it didn't bother me :)


The only sad thing was I didn't touch my camera today.  I think the SD card is still in the computer from last night's upload...eh, oh well.  It doesn't bother me if it doesn't bother you :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment