The history of birthday observance can be traced back before the rise of Christianity. In pagan culture it was believed evil spirits visited people on their birthdays. To protect the person having the birthday from the evil effect, people used to surround him and make merry. A lot of noise used to be created in such parties to scare away the evil spirits. In those times there was no tradition of bringing gifts and guests attending the birthday party would bring good wishes for the birthday person. However, if a guest did bring gifts it was considered to be a good sign for the person of honor. Later, flowers became quite popular as a Birthday gift. - Tokenz.com
Today I entered my late twenties. The day wasn't meant to be very grand, but it seemed to somehow find its way there. After a touch of cleaning (remember, cleaning makes me happy), Cate and I went to the pool. We usually talk to Chad before lunch, but his internet was down. Our neighbor and her two children and the neighbor boy were already at the pool. Caitlin really enjoys playing with Megan and Michael (7 and 4 years old, I believe) the neighbor boy, Chase is 6. I think I enjoyed watching Cate play with the kids more than anything. She was actively engaged with them for 80% of the time we were there. They chased her and she would chase them, Chase would put her on the edge of the pool and sit next to her and splash their feet together. He'd jump in the pool and Caitlin would follow suit. It was sweet and heart warming. I thought - I don't need anything in the world but to see our little girl this happy. On our way out of the pool Caitlin made another friend, come to find out, this friend was my age, and had just moved into a house a few doors down from us! I promptly invited her to join us for drinks tonight :).
After getting Bug down for her nap around 1, I vacuumed the car and missed two calls from Chad...way to go, I know...but my great day hung with me and when I called him back he was still up and in a good mood :) We talked for almost 2.5 hours. I thought - this is it, it's perfect, this is all I need today, a happy baby girl and a great conversation with my Love. On top of the flowers and necklace, he gave me another fantastic gift...I get to make a list!!! I know...I need help. My task is to make a list of 100 things I want to do or see or own or touch...there will be a blue whale on this list in some capacity...He's making his own list and we get to merge them in 2 short months :) This guy really knows me well, huh?
Since I had just spent all of my "chore time" with Chad (not complaining at all, by the way), I had to make up time before I had to cook dinner. Caitlin was wonderful in allowing me to start a load of laundry, hang wet laundry outside, clean up the kitchen, cook dinner & put it in the oven, and then hop in the shower. This is where the day got fun. I was brushing my hair and Caitlin saw I had the comb in my hand (she loves the comb, almost to the point of obsession), she was sitting on our bed (which she is normally very adept at getting on and off), and lunged forward to hurry and get off the bed and get to the comb. Well, the lunge move didn't go well for her and she flipped face first off of the bed. It didn't sound horrible and she didn't start crying right away, so I casually walked over to her not making a big deal about it (like I do every time she falls down) and told her it was okay, just a little bump. Oh, was I wrong. She picked up her head to look at me and all I saw was the blood running out of her mouth and down her chin. Shit. Enter extreme panic mode. The only thing I could think was - There's so much blood and I'm not dressed. Do I call someone? I can't I'm not dressed. I can't get dressed, there's so much blood! Caitlin actually seemed to be trying to calm herself down, and was doing rather well. By the time we got down stairs the bleeding seemed to have stopped and she was only whimpering slightly. She drank some water and I called the 24 hour nurse hotline. By now she is calm, no blood, and is sucking on her pacifier. This all seemed like very good signs. According to the nurse, they were. I learned that tearing the skin flap between your gums and upper lip is really common and heals really well and quickly without any help. I should just avoid feeding her salt and citrus for her own comfort and don't pull on her upper lip to see if it's healed for 3 days. Once I realized there was no emergency, I chuckled. So did Caitlin.
Dinner was fantastic, pecan crusted chicken and broccoli. Big tough girl decided she still wanted to eat what Mom was eating, not her blended baby food-I was impressed. Once the kiddo was in bed, three friends came over to hang out for a bit. Aleece brought clear tequila and soda water and Erin brought paleo cookies. Becky didn't bring anything, but we had just met her hours before - I didn't warn her that it was my birthday. Making a new friend on my birthday was gift enough :) The cookies were incredible and totally satisfied my cake craving that I had had for the last 5 days or so.
All in all, I didn't plan for a thing to happen today, I didn't expect it to be any different from any other day, and somehow it became really one of the best days I've had in a really long time, even with loads of blood involved :).
I wish I could send out the warm fuzzy feeling from today to everyone as a thank you for all the thoughts and gifts and time and love that everyone has showered on me :)
No comments:
Post a Comment