Total Pageviews

28 September 2014

Day 12.

28 September 14

Alaska was full of firsts for us/me.  Buying a home, seeing the Aurora, having a kid in school, starting my own business, crazy things.  Not so crazy firsts happened too, like the first time I swung an ax.  Definitely something I never thought I would be capable of doing.  But the curiosity got the best of me, and one day I took a swing (hahaha, get it?)  It's not so bad.  My toes had one close call and I haven't not thought about where my feet are when I'm holding an ax since.

I took advantage of the balmy 42 degrees this afternoon and swung the ax - just because I can!  I got it stuck.  :(  In my defense, we have some crazy, unsplitable, chunks of wood that even the hydraulic log splitter struggled with.  Before I got my ax stuck, I was thinking to myself that there are actually a large group of people that would see what I'm doing and tell me I'm crazy.  I don't know if it's because I have a husband who is very physically capable of splitting wood, or if that doesn't matter and that it's just because I'm a girl.  I'll admit, I am a bit of a weakling (which is partially why I can't unstick the ax from it's current location).  But as I chopped away I started to formulate my argument to someone who would tell me I'm crazy for doing my "man's job".  As I organized my thoughts, I realized how happy I am with the relationship I have with my Man.  One of the books I read a few months ago described the roles of a man and woman and why they pair so well together.  To keep it simple the woman is the flower and the man is the gardener.  The flower is meant to stay put in the garden and grow and flourish and beautify the garden.  The gardener is there to protect the flower, till the soil, make sure it has the nutrients it needs to do it's growing.  And that is exactly what we do. In the 7 years I've known him, he's always provided me with what I need without hesitation.  Sometimes tilling the soil means changing the poopiest diaper of the week so I can continue splitting wood.  My point is...There aren't man jobs or woman jobs, the picture is bigger than that.  I am happy because my husband has allowed me to grow the most beautiful garden I think I've ever seen!  I see it in our kids, in the friendships I've been able to go out and develop, and the fact that I can call my Gardener my best friend, and best partner in crime that I could hope to have :)

That being said - sorry I got the ax stuck, it will be waiting patiently for you until you come home ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment