Total Pageviews

26 September 2011

Day 341 Sept.23 2011

Today was my mini escape that I've been looking forward to all week.  Erin and I signed up for this over a month ago and I remember thinking, "This date seems so far away...but when it gets here, I'll be so close to Chad coming home."  Well, that doesn't feel true at all.  A little disappointing.  More on that later.


Today was the Annual Fort Polk Spouses Conference.  We had a selection of about 10 or 12 workshops that ranged from car care tips to Army social protocol.  We had 4 sessions to fill.  Erin and I coordinated our choices so we could do most of the sessions together.  This morning when we were driving to the Education Center, we were bantering back and forth about what workshops we thought we got, it reminded me of the first day of high school when you get your semester schedule and you comparing it to your best friend's to make sure you at least have the same study hall and lunch together :)


I really enjoyed the classes I got.  The lunch was okay, kinda skimpy but the whole event cost only $15 and we did get A LOT of free stuff.  I didn't win any of the 200 some prizes they drew ticket numbers for, but just like everyone else claims, "I never win anything".  The guest speaker at the end, I wasn't impressed with.  She was young (my age-ish, maybe a few years older), but she was very..."infomercial".  She had good information and helpful advice that a lot of Military Spouses would benefit from, but she was very over the top, and slipped into a "valley girl" persona many many times during her talk.  I really felt like she was trying to convince me that what she was telling me was the best deal I'd ever come by and I should buy it.  That wasn't the point of her talk, so it was conflicting and hard to stay focused.  Kind of ruined it for me a little.  This day did spark an idea that could be pretty monumental.  But it's so monumental, that I'm not even going to talk about it until my Hubby comes home...    


The keynote speaker was only a small portion of the day.  So, it didn't take away from the rest of the events.  I learned some helpful things, and I got really excited about some of the area events that I never knew existed.  Really makes looking forward to whats happening in the next couple of weeks feel real :)



No comments:

Post a Comment