Had a good heart-to-heart this morning with a new friend. She and her sons have just recently moved to the neighborhood and I've gotten to know her through our FRG events. She came over for a casual morning of conversation and coffee. She was pleased that it ended up being as casual as I said it would be. She pointed out (something that I had already picked up on in the last two years) that a lot of Army Wives take the "Army Etiquette" as an everyday standard for living. I'm by no means saying that the Army Etiquette should be thrown out the window, but if that's the only way you live, you'll feel very lonely. I suppose I'll elaborate on the etiquette I keep referring to.
You always bring something with you. Food, beverage, thank you gift, etc.
You look nice and possibly wear your units colors/pin
You return the gesture by inviting the host to your home in the near future
You always RSVP yes or no
Don't be late
Don't be early
Avoid controversial topics (religion, politics, army)
Be pleasant and mingle with everyone equally
As you can see, very topical. I guess these etiquette rules aren't military specific, they're the proper manners that your Grandmother always taught you when stayed at her house (or was that just me...). Anyway, topical was the word my friend used to describe how the last 3 weeks had felt to her. I totally agreed. topical isn't always bad. But after a few "social outings" with nothing else, you start to miss something. Especially if you're the only adult in the house at the time. You miss being casual with someone, not having to worry about holding up pretenses, having a conversation that doesn't make sense. I'm also by no means saying you should be cavalier with all of your friends and never show up at the time you say you're going to, or dine and ditch without ever assisting or reciprocating. But it's really nice when you find a friend or two (especially in the short time you have to get to know someone in this lifestyle) who know you well enough that if you walk in smelly from the gym or 10 min early because you were sick of sitting alone in your house, they won't judge in anyway and they will appreciate how comfortable you are around them.
And speaking of comfort...
No comments:
Post a Comment