Total Pageviews

04 September 2011

Day 321 Sept.3 2011

Fort Polk has taught me a couple things about life.  One of the most important ones is this:

Perfection isn't always necessary.

Everyone uses the cliche, It's the thought that counts.  It really is true.  When you live in a place where your options are limited (and I would have never believed that options could be this limited until I actually lived it), you do learn to appreciate what you have.  For example, I attended the dinner theater production of Baggage at the On-Post Theater tonight.  I got to put on a pair of heels, and have a really scrumptious dinner, catch up with some girls I haven't seen in ages, and then got to watch a play.  I've done a couple dinner theaters before, one was a medieval times theater and isn't quite comparable to the others...sorry, tangent, that's not my point.  My point is, I got to see a live play, here in this town, a real live play :)  The acting was a little forced, it wasn't perfection.  But I can appreciate how hard it is to stand up on a stage and recite lines in a meaningful way.  The more the show went on, it became easier to overlook the slight flaws, and just enjoy the story line and the witty quips about how silly expectations in a relationship can be.  This wasn't Broadway in any way, shape, or form.  But these people still worked incredibly hard, and put on an enjoyable show that made me laugh and chuckle and now think of pancakes every time someone says potato...

It doesn't have to be perfection for it to be enjoyable.  Many of the things here seem to have some unique oddity about them, or maybe an annoying nuisance, but I'm finding that it's not so hard to cope with.  Again, I have no idea why it's so much easier to swallow these things now than before.  I don't know if 2 years in Leesville, Louisiana has broken me down, or if it's that old age thing weighing down on me, or if I'm wise beyond my years... either way, it's a useful place to be mentally.  I enjoy enjoying things :)


No comments:

Post a Comment