It was Summer 2009 in Louisiana, we had been invited to a friends house for a usual weekend evening get-together. A few close friends (friends that we happened to drink alcohol with) knew there was a reason that I was now not drinking alcohol. We had to be honest with them - I was preggo. And not a jar of pasta sauce. Well at this party there happened to be another "not jar of pasta sauce". She fell asleep on the couch. Actually I could have been the first one to fall asleep, I don't remember. The point is, we both fell asleep on the couch in the living room by 9pm. I had never met this girl before, but she was tall like me and we were both pregnant. She was a lot louder than me - but she knew more people so I figured that was typical (I now know that's not true, she's just loud...) anyway, we chatted a little about our similar situations and the next day I loaned her a copy of What to Expect What Your Expecting. Or I gave it to her, again, doesn't really matter, what matters is I asked our mutual friend for her number and the rest is history! I don't really remember hanging out much more at Polk (I'll have to grill her for her side of this story), they left shortly after we had our snuggle on the couch. Somehow we managed to grow this relationship of ours long distance. To the point that in April 2011 another very good friend of mine and myself (and Bug at 15 months old) drove to Florida from Louisiana to spend a 4 day weekend with her. Then that Winter she came to Bug's baptism as her God Mother, and I got to attend JP's baptism in Maryland, that trip total was like 26 hours - that was a crazy crazy day. She is sitting in Seattle waiting to board her last flight to see the kids and I for 5 days. This is epic. I have easily spent less than 200 hours in person with her and yet she is one of my very best friends. This is why the Army is a beautiful thing :)
Here is a quick recap of our <200 hours together:
1) 1st meeting - slept on a couch together
2) I drove to Florida to see her - Met Staci (who I want to keep for the rest of my life too...), and broke JP's leg
3) She flew to Chicago and drove to MI with her Mom for Bug's Baptism - we (as in our whole families) got rip roaring drunk and really inappropriate the night before she left
4) Bug and I flew to Maryland for 26 hours - Bug projectile vomited on EVERYTHING in the back of the rental car. It wasn't even Leanne with me - it was her Hubs. On the flight home, I had to use every aspect of my being to keep my bodily fluids in, it was awful.
5) She flies from North Carolina to Alaska to see me - she misses her initial flight out of North Carolina because she read the itinerary wrong.
This is a nutshell is us. We start out haggard and seemingly not right - but in the end we're meant to be best buds. We're essentially the same person, have a very similar major life experience and and I'm not talking about the Army and two kids, excel at the same things, see the perspective that the other fails to see...it's good.
Now, enough of that side note. More silliness to come over the next 5 days!
Today started with me hearing the reminder on my phone that tells me "It's time to leave if you want to make it to Yoga in time" SHIT! I flipped out of bed - poor Cat took the brunt of this reaction (he sleeps on my feet...) saw the clock said 9:04. Class starts at 9:30. I have two kids to wake and dress and feed so they will be content for an hour to be quiet. They are not morning people. shit. It snowed last night. The roads will be, well, shit. We made it to the gym at 9:35, the two guys that were waiting for me were regulars and love the kids, so it wasn't a big deal to take 5 minutes to get them set up with their Wild Kratts and dry cereal. Bug was still in P.J.s but I really didn't care. Got in the car after class to see that the Hubs sprained his ankle. The first time he's really gotten to play down there - I felt bad. We get home, I start a fire - Leanne calls. She missed her flight. Oh, and one more thing - in the middle of a dish washing cycle the dishwasher overheated so badly I expected to see flames in the washer when I opened it.
WHAT IS GOING ON TODAY??!!!???
Fast forward a few hours, we roll with the flight changes and things pick up - she manages to make up time and as of the end of the day she is back on track to be here when we originally planned. The Hubs says his ankle is doing alright, and the kids painted. A lot. And washing dishes by hand wasn't as awful as I anticipated - I can't wait to teach the kids! (insert maniacal laugh). The three of us took a brief walk to the end of the road to stretch our legs after hauling wood, they really enjoyed it. Mr took his shirt off all on his own for the first time (this is a big deal, usually me asking him to take off clothes, even his coat or socks, leads to epic temper-tantrums).
I'm trying to sneak into bed early since we have to get up and be to the airport at 0200 :) Like I'm going to be able to sleep. It's like Christmas when I was 5...except I didn't have any responsibilities when I was 5 the next day...damn.

No comments:
Post a Comment