I just can't seem to get two good days in a row. The day started out well, had a rousing VTC meeting that was slightly informative (which is a pretty big accomplishment) and a happy girl when I got home. She was great at keeping herself entertained before she was ready for her nap. I got our laptop back (it was out getting it's webcam replaced) and discovered that in addition to a new webcam, the repair company wiped the entire hard drive and reset all the factory settings. Awesome. Annoying, but I ran a backup before I mailed it off. Or so I thought. I spent a good amount of time on the phone with a computer guru friend who after about two hours and many many set backs told me it looks like the external drive (the one with the back up on it) has corrupted itself some how. I mailed the whole thing to him and he will try to work his magic and see if he can recover the back up. But I'm not holding out much hope. I thought I was well prepared, I followed the step by step instructions on running a back up. And I'm still screwed. I've been trying to tell myself all day it's not that bad. I have 90% of Caitlin's pictures on shutterfly online, along with her videos. I transferred a few "important" excel files to a thumb drive. Our wedding pictures...well, I have a disc from our photographer and some are on facebook...it's just going to be a mess downloading from facebook, and none of them will be at the resolution to where I can edit them...I have all of our software discs, but any of my scrapbooking projects I was working on-gone. My 3,000+ songs in itunes-gone, not to mention the issues I'll have with my iPod and being able to ever add music to that without losing what's already on it. I know it's not the end of the world. But I went out and bought a $30 webcam for our "desktop" so we could still skype with Dad during the repairs and I'm told it's a better quality video. I should have just used it with the laptop and we wouldn't be here. Ugh. And the one thing I've been looking forward to all day is taking Caitlin to the pool. She's been so good today and I feel like I should treat her to something. We get our suits on, go to step outside and it thunders. Really? Not a single rumble all day. The pool is only open from 4:30-8pm and we can only make it before 5 or 5:15 if I want to eat dinner at a decent time....
Ok. Enough complaining. You haven't lived a life of technology until you've lost everything you own, right? Don't put you eggs all in one basket. You might drop it. At least the computer wasn't stolen or permanently damaged. In the end if we don't have our pictures, we will still have a brand new computer to start over with...
Caitlin usually brings me rocks and pebbles haphazardly chosen from the sidewalk when we take our nightly walk. Tonight the first thing she stopped and picked up warranted an "ooohhh" and a big excited expression on her face. She hurried over to me and handed me some kind of seed pod. It was actually kind of pretty and I was very impressed that she didn't damage it since it was very delicate. After our long, crappy day, Bug made me smile just when I needed it :)
No comments:
Post a Comment